Monday, July 30, 2007

Double Tagged

Between working Friday night, Adam's baseball game on Saturday and trying to get our newly renovated kitchen unpacked and put away yesterday, I didn't have much time; I was tagged with the "Five Questions" meme by both Bubs and Jess Wundrun a few days ago. Here are my responses.







From Bubs:

1. You're stuck in a flesh-eating zombie apocalypse. Would you rather deal with Romero shambling zombies who are learning to use tools and weapons, or insensible but crazy fast Dawn of the Dead remake zombies? Compare and contrast.

I haven't seen the remake yet, but I'd have to say I'd rather go with the stumbling zombies. I'm in pretty good shape for a guy my age (46) and am a pretty good shot.

2. Who's the first female cartoon or comic book character you had a crush on?

Lois, from "Hi and Lois." She was the original cartoon MILF.





3. What makes your wife/girlfriend/significant other a saint in regards to her relationship with you?

That she puts up with me. I've spent most of my adult life single (my other two marriages were brief). I'm used to doing things my way and in my time. She's been relatively patient while I adjust to married life.





4. Batman or James Bond?

Good lord, is there any question? James Bond. He's smart, sophisticated, well-dressed, devastatingly handsome, and kicks International Bad Guy ass 300 different ways. And unlike Batman, he doesn't wear a silly costume, and he always gets the girl-- even the bad ones.

5. If you could do anything in the world that you wanted to do (assuming you're not already doing it now) what would it be? For a living, for fun, whatever.

I'd be living on an organic farm with Kim and our kids, with our parents in cottages near our home. We'd have an organic vineyard and a sustainable agriculture study center, all fueled by renewable resources-- the sun and the wind. We wouldn't always stay there, though: we'd have an Airstream, with a biodiesel-fuelled truck to tow it, which we'd run around visiting friends in.




From Jess:

1. Wednesday, Nov. 5, 2008. Our side won! How do you celebrate?

I'd call my son Adam-- he would be at my ex's house on a Wednesday. I would let him gush for a while-- he'd be very excited. He's a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat. Then Kim and I would break out a bottle of Freixenet Cava (Spanish champagne) and celebrate. My father and her father would certainly call. Both would be quite happy. It would be a happy night all around.


2. Are you on a boat or are you a land lubber or do you soar?

I definitely soar. It's the only way to travel through life.




3. What was the last mistake you wished you could cover up?

If I wanted to cover it up, I wouldn't post it on my blog!

4. Are your omelettes fluffy?

Since I have a mild allergy to eggs, I don't make omelettes often. But when I do, I make them with egg-beaters (no cholesterol) and yes, they are fluffy.


5. When was the last time your paradigm shifted?

Last year, late May/early June, 2006. In a two week period: my father had a cancerous tumor the size of a softball taken from his abdomen; I was RIF'ed from a teaching job I loved, and had hoped to work until retirement in; and on the night of June 3/4, my close friend Mark Evans was murdered in a home invasion/robbery. I had to really, really evaluate my life-- it's meaning, what was important to me, and where I wanted to go from there. It resulted in my decision to leave teaching and go back to school.


Okay, I'm tagging the following: Monkerstein, Natalie, Skyler's Dad, Andi and Samurai Frog (who says you never get tagged, Samurai!) with the following questions.


1. If you could be there to change just one event in history, what would it be?
2. If you could be any actor or actress who ever lived, who would it be, and why?
3. What was your favorite Saturday morning cartoon show?
4. Beatles or Rolling Stones?
5. If you could be any fictional literary figure ever, who would it be?

14 comments:

Bubs said...

Great answers, and very clever running all of them together in one post. I liked that.

I especially liked the paradigm shift question and your response to it. It's amazing (and sad, really) how many people go through times like that and don't draw any lessons from it at all. You're a rare and thoughtful person.

Evil Spock said...

Lois? Really? Blondie and her daughter were much hotter.

Oh, and Batman all the way.

Skylers Dad said...

Yeah, I would have used Blondies daughter "Cookie". Cartoon perfection...

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I see the Lois thing. She reminded me of my mom too much to get all worked up over her though.

I've answered your questions my good man. Go see the results at your leisure.

Skylers Dad said...

Your questions have been answered and posted good sir, thanks!

kim said...

Darling,

Though I love you, I would never live on an organic farm....I don't like organic wine because it tastes like vinegar...sometimes, there is a place for sulfites.

J.D. said...

Why can't ANYONE tag me??!?

Jess Wundrun said...

Thanks Johnny! Very interesting indeed. Did you go to EAA in Oshkosh in the midst of all your travels? I thought you had mentioned something last week.

Andi said...

Yay! I love being tagged! Thanks!

BeckEye said...

My answer to the Beatles/Rolling Stones question is always "Led Zeppelin."

Johnny Yen said...

Bubs-
Thanks! It does seem like some people sleepwalk through life, doesn't it?

As you know, Mark's death was the worst of those things. I had the realization that he would be angry with me if I didn't move on and find joy in life again.

Evil Spock-
Yeah, Blondie was stacked, wasn't she? Nice gams, too.

Skyler's Dad-
I think my preference for women older than me (a family trait, by the way) started early. Yet, I've managed to marry a woman nearly seven years younger than me. Good thing for her she's so damned cute.

Monkerstein-
What would Dr. Freud think about it all?

Kim-
Well then you can visit me on the farm. You can stay in your parents' cottage.

J.D.
Consider yourself tagged, then, by all means!

Jess-
He did indeed go to the Oshkosh show, through the aviation camp he was in this weekend. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't too good. This weekend, though, my ex took him to an airshow at the former Palwaukee Airport (in Waukegan, maybe?). He saw a bunch of old World War II airplanes flying, and got to go inside a B-17. He was very excited about it.

Andi-
You're welcome! I look forward to your answers! I thought you'd enjoy the literary question in particular.

Beckeye-
When I started playing guitar, in my late teens, I suddenly became a huge Zep fan. I love Jimmy Paige's songwriting and guitar-playing.

I don't know why it springs to mind, but did you see "School of Rock?" There's a great scene in that movie with "The Immigrant Song" playing.

The Elk said...

Led Zep ?
Jimmy Page???!

Hard to see how that overrated bloated carcass can play guitar anymore with his fat sausage fingers.....

GETkristiLOVE said...

It really depends on whether we're talking Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, Christian Bale, or George Clooney versus Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, or Daniel Craig.

I prefer Batman Clooney to Bond Moore or Bond Connery to Batman Keaton.

Andi said...

Done! Took me long enough, I know! :)