Friday, February 29, 2008

Exhausted Friday Random Ten

This would have been a busy week to begin with-- we're getting ready for midterms at school. But add to that picking up an extra shift at Jury's Tueday and Kim's car troubles and things got even busier.

Kim is going to trade in her '99 Jetta Lemon for something that doesn't require repairs every couple of months. We're celebrating Adam's 14th birthday, which is actually next Saturday. I've got on online Biology quiz to take, which means reading three chapters. I've also got to write a paper. And of course I'm working two shifts this weekend. I foresee lots of caffeine in my weekend.


1. Lost In the Flood- Bruce Springsteen
2. Sugar Mountain- Buffalo Springfield
3. Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Parts VI-IX- Pink Floyd
4. Free Man In Paris- Joni Mitchell
5. My Back Pages- The Byrds
6. Plaster Caster- Kiss
7. Centerfold- J. Geils Band
8. Harden My Heart- Quarterflash
9. Kiss and Say Goodbye- The Manhattans
10. Little Wild One- Marshall Crenshaw


Notes:
1. A great song from Bruce Springsteen's first album about a robbery gone awry.
2. Neil Young wrote and sang this song about getting older.
3. The last song on Wish You Were Here.
4. Joni Mitchell's song about her friend music mogul David Geffen.
5. The Byrds' cover of a Bob Dylan song that has one of my favorite-ever lines in a song: "I was so much older then/I'm younger than that now."
6. Kiss' tribute to the Plastercasters of Chicago, who, ironically, never "did" any of the members of Kiss.
7. In Dave Marsh' Rock Book of Lists, published in 1981, J. Geils Band was listed as one of the greatest bands never to have a number 1 hit. Of course, they later had one that year with "Centerfold." And then they broke up.
8. Okay, it's a big hunk of eighties cheese-- but I like it.
9. I love this little seventies R and B gem. As I listened to it today, I realized that it's almost the same song as Billy Paul's "Me and Mrs. Jones," but with a different ending.
10. One of the great underappreciated artists of our time.

3 comments:

Tenacious S said...

Two words. Red Bull. I'm not an addict, but I know when I have to use it. It's the ace in the pocket.

Distributorcap said...

JY -- you are not gonna believe but i actually knew the first 9!

and i didnt know that Free Man IN Paris was about David Geffen. I love Joni MItchell and that is one of my favorite songs from her

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I reserve the right to question your musical judgment for all time now that I know you have Quaterflash on your iPod.