Friday, May 25, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend Random Ten

The countdown to a three day weekend has begun. It looks like the students at the alternative high school I teach at have mostly decided to make it a four day weekend. And I'm cool with that.

According to the Iraq Coalition Casualty Count website, there have now been 3,441 American dead in the Iraq war. Let's not forget that this isn't just a three day weekend-- it's about remembering and honoring those who have given all for us.

Bob Dylan's anti-war classic "Masters of War" popped up, appropriately, on my Friday Random Ten.

Let's bring 'em home.

1. Little Darlin'- Dave Edmunds
2. Keep On Truckin'- Eddie Kendricks
3. Street Fighting Man- Rolling Stones
4. You're So Good To Me- Beach Boys
5. Guinnevere- Crosby, Stills and Nash
6. Pleasant Street- Tim Buckley
7. Masters of War- Bob Dylan
8. Homeless- Curtis Mayfield
9. Smoke On the Water- Pat Boone
10. I Saw the Best Minds of My Generation Rot- The Fugs

Notes:

1. From the Dave Edmunds box set, which always claws its way to the top of my Friday Random Ten.
2. A solo song from Eddie Kendricks of the Temptations.
3. "What can a poor boy do/But sing in a rock and roll band?"
4. From the Beach Boys' best-of set, Endless Summer, one of my desert island albums.
5. From CSN's eponymous debut album. Okay, I just wanted to say "eponymous."
6. Yesterday, co-worker Sara and I were trying to figure out if Tim Buckley was in the "27 Club"-- rockers who've died at the age of 27-- Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain, Brian Jones, Pigpen McKernan (original Grateful Dead keyboardist), Al Wilson (Canned Heat), D. Boon (Minutemen), Jimmy McCullough (Wings) are among them. I looked him up-- Buckley made it to 28. Tragically, his equally talented son Jeff Buckley died in 1997 at the age of 30, when he drowned while swimming in the Mississippi River.
7. I knew the birthday boy would turn up on today's Random Ten! (It was Bob's birthday yesterday)
8. Curtis Mayfield at his best, making a social statement.
9. Yes, that Smoke On the Water. And yes, that Pat Boone. From Boone's hilarious "In a Metal Mood."
10. Natalie mentioned the Holy Modal Rounders a couple of days ago in a wonderful post about Bob, a car that carried not just passengers, but memories. The Rounders were an offshot of The Fugs.

6 comments:

Tenacious S said...

I wish I had the Dave Edmunds box set. I need to buy more music. Our friend from Australia went on the most extravagant CD buying spree I've ever seen. They are much cheaper here and he had saved up a ton of cash. All I'm going to say is that it required a shopping cart. I was so jealous.

Foofa said...

That has to be one of my favorite random 10s ever, and not because I'm in it. That's just my kind of music!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

That's one of the last good Rolling Stones songs.

Wow, Smoke on the Water? How hilarious is that Pat Boone anyway?

Have a great long weekend!

Joe said...

One of my favorite (if barely remembered) Fugs songs, based on Ginsberg's "Howl". am I right that there's a part that repeats the phrase "starving hysterical, starving hysterical, starving hysterical naked"? Jaunty!

Erik Donald France said...

I've got to check out the Pat Boone -- sounds like a riot ;)

Toccata said...

I am still saddened by Jeff Buckley's death. His voice has the power to make me stop what I am doing so I can just listen and allow his voice to completely wrap around me.

You always have such awesome playlists. I've said it before but I certainly do enjoy the little asides you post along with it. You blog makes me feel lazy!