Friday, April 29, 2011

The "Dotting the i's and Crossing the T's" Friday Random Ten

It turned out that I had a pretty low-key week. My 12-hour, 7 am to 7 pm clinical I was supposed to have yesterday was cancelled due to the instructor's illness. We're supposed to have a six hour one on Tuesday, but that's up in the air. In the meantime, we doubled up on classroom work on Wednesday, meaning I don't have class on Monday. I have a test on Gerontology Wednesday, which is very likely going to be the least difficult test of the whole program; it's on diabetes, heart disease, hypothyroidism, and such-- all things we've covered before-- but applied to older adults. Toward the end of the unit, barely half the class was bothering to show up, since it was, essentially, a review.

I have a couple of assignments, already done, to turn in, and I have to do a quick rework of my resume, also to be turned in, and I'm done. I have three HESI tests to take, one next Friday and two on the following Monday. And then graduation on May 11th. Oh, and I also become eligible to join the AARP.

I wasn't going to get a nursing pin, but my friend and neighbor Jane, who is a nurse, convinced me to get one. She pointed out that I'm going to want to wear it to honor other nurses-- at retirement ceremonies, etc. And my feeling is that I'd rather have it and not want it than to later decide I wanted it, but not have it.

One thing I wanted for sure was to have my picture in the class composite picture (the picture at the top of the post was everybody's overwhelming choice out of the four shots I had). I know I'll stay in touch with a good number of my classmates, and I've become good friends with some. This last few years, especially the last two, have been intense. I'm very fond of the people who were by my side in that time.

So this last week or so is going to be tying off loose ends. I'd pretty much have to not show up for the last test in order not to graduate. It's a good spot to be in as I finish.

1. La Dolce Vita- Peter Gabriel
2. Hymn 43- Jethro Tull
3. Here Comes My Girl- Tom Petty
4. Sunspot Baby- Bob Seger
5. One Tree Hill- U2
6. Love Has Brought Me Around- James Taylor
7. So Far Away- David Gilmour
8. Time In A Bottle- Jim Croce
9. One Step Ahead- Split Enz
10. You've Got Another Thing Coming- Pat Boone


Notes:
1. From Peter Gabriel's first post-Genesis solo album.
2. Not a big Tull fan, but love this anti-religion song.
3. Saw Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers perform in 1990, so they're not on my "bucket" list (performers to see before they or I kick the bucket-- Tony Bennett, Bob Seger, Tom Jones, Los Lobos are some of who are on that list), but I'd gladly see them again.
4. Speaking of my "bucket" list. Just a reminder-- Seger performing May 14 here in Chicago, and if anyone's looking for a birthday/graduation gift for me...
5. A song of grief and healing. I turned to it often after my friend Mark's murder.
6. An old favorite.
7. From a great solo album Pink Floyd guitarist Gilmour did in 1978.
8. A sadly prophetic song for Mr. Croce
9. These guys are best known for "I Got You," but this one is also great. And they mutated into another great eighties band, Crowded House.
10. Yes, THAT Pat Boone, and THAT song (originally by Judas Priest). From "In A Metal Mood," a tongue in cheek metal album Boone did in the late nineties. The deeply religious singer took grief from the funamentalists for it, showing he's got a sense of humor and fundamentalists are dicks.

4 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

I may only know you via your blog, but that doesn't stop me from being excited for you!
I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you will do well in your new field of employment.

SkylersDad said...

You can really see that light at the end of the tunnel now! It must be a great feeling.

Erik Donald France said...

Good luck wrapping it up, man ~~ you certainly earned it~~

Churlita said...

Yea for you! I'm so glad you are finally almost done and ready for a satisfying job. I can't wait to hear all about your first year as a nurse.