Friday, May 27, 2011

"The Waiting Is the Hardest Part" Friday Random Ten

So I've got all my ducks in a row for taking the nursing boards. I'm just waiting to hear from the state that I'm okay. There may be one wrinkle, but some unexpected resources may take care of that. More on that later.

As if I didn't have enough on my plate, as I've mentioned before, we discovered we have to move by August 1. Having just finished nursing school (while my wife was unemployed for six months of that), we were not really in a good financial position to be putting down a security deposit and having our credit checked. Fortunately, my parents lent us the money for the security deposit for the place pictured at top. It's a building built in 1914, in the next neighborhood over from us, Lincoln Square. It's completely updated, with lots of big pluses. For starters, we'll have the second floor AND the attic, which is finished. The place is enormous-- 2,500 square feet. And there's two bathrooms. There's a nice backyard and plenty of street parking. The Lincoln Avenue bus has a stop right around the corner and there's an el stop a couple of blocks away-- my daughter will be able to take either one of them when she starts high school next year. The attic space will be just great-- we're putting the big LCD tv I got the family for Christmas up there, along with the Wii, Nintendo, etc. And I will be able to take my books out of storage and onto a shelf finally. It's almost perfect. The only thing we're missing is a washer and dryer hookup; there's a pay washer and dryer downstairs. I'll have to figure out what I'm doing with my ten year old washer/dryer set that still works perfectly. I'll probably try to sell them. I have until July 1 to figure it all out.

When I moved into this place, it was me, my four year old son and a girlfriend. 13 years later, it's me, another woman (my current wife), a 17 year old son and a 14 year old stepdaughter. As nice as this place is, we're ready for more space. This new place will deliver that in spades. It's all coming together, but sometimes the waiting is the hardest part.

1. Something In The Night- Bruce Springsteen
2. Your Saving Grace- The Steve Miller Band
3. Heroes- David Bowie
4. Wooden Ships- Crosby, Stills and Nash
5. It's Not Easy- The Rolling Stones
6. Self Control- Raf
7. I'm a Believer- The Monkees
8. Too Much Information- The Police
9. What's On My Mind- Kansas
10. Give Me An Inch- Robert Palmer


Notes:
1. "When we found the things we loved, they were crushed and dying in the dirt."
2. The title track from a 1970 album
3. Co-written by Brian Eno
4. A tale of the post-apocalypse
5. From the great "Aftermath" album.
6. The dark, brooding original-- not the white-bread Laura Brannigan cover that was a hit in the US
7. Written by Neil Diamond
8. Even more appropriate in these internet days
9. A big hunk o' seventies cheese-- not that that's a bad thing...
10. From the late, great Robert Palmer

3 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

Wooden Ships is an awesome song (as are the most of the others as well). Glad you found a cool place to move to. All the room will be nice! Have a great week buddy!

Johnny Yen said...

Thanks Pat! I've loved that first CSN album for decades.

Churlita said...

Wow. That's a lot. Your place is twice as big as mine and we only have one bathroom for 4 people. good for you guys!