Monday, March 15, 2010

A Musical Mystery Solved

Back in the days when I had the time, money, youth and energy to hang out in bars and clubs, I'd hear songs that I liked and loved. Usually I'd look at the jukebox, or ask the deejay or bartender who did the song.

One night at the Neo, a Chicago club that's still around*, I heard a song I'd heard many a time at clubs over the years, but never knew who'd done it or even the name of the song. It was, the deejay told me, Plastic Bertrand's "Ca Plane Pour Moi."



A few years later, I was watching the movie "Grosse Pointe Blank" with my now-ex-wife Cynthia and heard another song I'd heard in my barfly days. I looked up the soundtrack on the internet and discovered the song was "Go" by Tones On Tail.



There are still a handful of musical mysteries from my carefree youth. One of the last ones was solved by blogger Beckeye, who put one of them on her great "Forgotten Classic Videos" series. It's Bourgeious Tagg's " I Don't Mind At All."



The song was one of those songs always in the background while was in the midst of a great conversation with an old friend, a date, an acquaintance or a bartender. I always meant to find out who did it. I remember the rock press on the band, but never made the connection.

Bourgeois Tagg was formed by high school friends Brent Thomas Bourgeois and Larry Tagg, who moved to the Bay area when they finished high school. Their first album had a college radio/club hit (Mutual Surrender (What a Wonderful World)). Their second album, produced by Todd Rundgren, yielded the Beatlesque top 100 hit "I Don't Mind At All." It hit the top five in the Adult Contemporary chart.

That was the height of their success. Bourgeois left the group after quitting drugs and alcohol and becoming addicted to Christianity. Todd Rundgren kept the rest of the band, who supported him on his 1989 "Almost Human" tour. Bourgeois has continued with the Christianity kick, producing Christian music artists and leading musical services at a church near Sacramento, California.

*Years before I met him my friend Bubs and his wife had their wedding reception, When we started reading one anothers' blogs about four years ago, we were astounded that we'd never met before-- we hung at the same places and even lived near one another many times over the years.

4 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

I LOVE it when that kind of thing happens -- the mysteries of strong memory wanting answers, eureka moments -- lovely. The human mind is hard to beat when it's on a mission.

Erik Donald France said...

p.s. for years I've been trying to figure out two: "Bangkok!" -- I thought maybe Robyn Hitchcock; and an ethereal ambient piece that had Star Trek samples, "Arm photon torpedoes," etc. It was cool.

A couple days ago another song came to mind: "Stupefaction," Graham Parker, who really does sound like Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson -- or they sound like him.

BeckEye said...

Glad I could help you out!

I used to go clubbing too, but the other two songs you posted aren't really ringing many bells. The French one sounds vaguely familiar. It also reminds me of Blur's "Song 2," just in that you can't really understand any of the words except the woo-hoo part. I guess that proves Damon Albarn right...you could write complete nonsense but if you put something catchy like that in it, we'll buy it. :)

Churlita said...

So cool. I love solving musical mysteries.