I was glad to see Bubs did his Friday Random Ten today-- I was beginning to think I was the last blogger still doing it.
1. Deeper and Deeper- The Fixx
2. Do You Remember When- J. Geils Band
3. I Walk the Line- Johnny Cash
4. Bohemian Like You- The Dandy Warhols
5. 6060-84- The B-52's
6. Los Marineros- Jamie O'Reilly and Michael Smith
7. Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)- Melanie
8. I Only Want To Be With You- Hootie and the Blowfish
9. Somebody's Baby- Jackson Browne
10. Darlin' Companion- Johnny Cash and June Carter
1. Maybe the only good thing that came from the otherwise forgettable 80's movie Streets of Fire. Well, okay, that and Diane Lane.
2. From Freeze Frame.
3. Johnny Cash's signature song.
4. One of the great band names ever. Great song, too.
5. From the B-52's great first album.
6. From Pasiones: Songs From the Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939, a show about the Lincoln Brigade.
When I was involved in a Lincoln Brigade organization, I got to get to know Jamie O'Reilly and Michael Smith. I discovered that Smith had penned one of my favorite songs, The Dutchman, which Steve Goodman covered beautifully. It was one of the first songs I ever sat down and taught myself on guitar years ago, something I told Michael. How cool was that, being able to tell the guy how much I loved his song?
7. Melanie's song about Woodstock
8. Okay, so it's Hootie and the frickin' Blowfish-- sue me.
9. A song from the Fast Times At Ridgemont High soundtrack
10. A gorgeous song, written by John Sebastian. From the Live At San Quentin album.