I was talking to my co-workers at the restaurant (Jury's) last night and the general consensus was that it's been a strange week. It was for me for sure, and I'll leave it at that.
One of those strange things was when I got a call yesterday at about 4 PM from a co-worker from when I worked at the alternative high school. Apparently what started out as a fight between two girls escalated into a full-blown riot, spilling out into the street, involving over a hundred students and people in the neighborhood. The staff was unable to leave for an hour after dismissal. I'm glad I missed it. I'm glad I made the decision to leave.
1. Stone Junkie- Curtis Mayfield
2. Sister Moonshine- Supertramp
3. It's Different For Girls- Joe Jackson
4. Concrete Jungle- The Specials
5. The Ballad of Jerry Curlin- The Angry Samoans
6. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight- Bob Dylan
7. A Thing Called Love- Johnny Cash
8. A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request- Steve Goodman
9. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall- Bob Dylan
10. Don't Let It Break You Down- Graham Parker
1. From People Get Ready, the fantastic Curtis Mayfield box set.
2. A guilty pleasure-- I love earlier Supertramp. I've been hearing this one in a commercial lately.
3. One of my favorite Joe Jackson tunes.
4. "You're goin' home in a f*ckin' ambulance." I've mentioned before my friend Suzy asking a member of the Specials what that chant was at the beginning.
5. Great eighties post-punk. My college roommate Jim's punk band, DUI, did a version of this, substituting the name of Barry Shawgo, a hated, asskissing, hypocritical member of the student senate at our college. That's a story I'll have to tell soon.
6. Robert Palmer and UB40 collaborated to do a nice cover of this song in the early nineties (see below).
7. It's Johnny Cash-- what more do I need to say?
8. Goodman, a die-hard Cubs fan, wrote and recorded this one after he found out that his leukemia, which had been in remission for years, had returned. Ironically, he died a month before the Cubs made the playoffs in 1984. Of course, if he would have been glad he missed their pathetic performance in those playoffs.
9. I mentioned this song in a post earlier this week. One of my life goals is to memorize the lyrics to this song very visual song.
10. I kept hearing Graham Parker all day today. That's not a bad thing.