It was a long, productive week. Worked a double yesterday (both jobs, one shift each), busy day today. We (Kim, the kids and I) had a great time this evening with our friends Gregg and Christina, celebrating their 25th anniversary and her birthday.
I postponed my Random Ten until my drive to work today because Lin Brehmer had John and John from They Might Be Giants on this morning. As I listened to the interview and performance, I pondered the fact that while Lulu and TenS think I know everybody, it's actually Lulu who's the raconteur-- she's friends with both Mr. Brehmer and the Johns.
1. Where Have All The Good Times Gone- The Kinks
2. Good Morning, Good Morning- The Beatles
3. Running Down a Dream- Tom Petty
4. Obsession- Animotion
5. Self Control- Raf
6. I Can't Quit You Babe- Led Zeppelin
7. Autobahn- Kraftwerk
8. Misty Green and Blue- UFO
9. Shelter From The Storm- Bob Dylan
10. Ten Years Gone- Led Zeppelin
1. One of the great opening riffs in rock history.
2. From Sgt. Pepper.
3. Another great rock opening riff. Great video, too.
4. This song is so eighties, isn't it?
5. This was a big pop hit for Laura Brannigan here in the U.S. This is the original-- very European and very dark (see vid below)
6. from Zeppelin's first album.
7. The full 22+ minute version of a song called "Highway" in German, from a band called "Factory" in German. I skipped past it after 7 or 8 minutes.
8. Seventies arena rock. I never noticed until I was playing it loud in my truck today that the MP3 I have is from vinyl-- you could hear the pops and clicks. I felt nostalgic.
9. This was one of the songs I learned guitar to play for. I was shocked to find out it had only two chords. Still a beautiful song.
10. Got the Led out twice today. When I finally read Hammer Of The Gods a few years back, I learned that this song was about one of Robert Plant's old girlfriends who died. That's all right-- he still had about 3,000 ex-girlfriends left.