I've been insanely busy this week, and didn't get a chance to post my Friday Random Ten yesterday after I played it. Without further ado...
1. I'm Gonna Make You Mine- The Shadows of Knight
2. Brand New Cadillac- The Clash
3. Green Tamborine- The Lemon Pipers
4. 88 Lines About 44 Women- The Nails
5. Chemistry Class- Elvis Costello
6. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five- Paul McCartney and the Wings
7. Jethro Tull- Nothing Is Easy
8. Girl, Don't Go Away Mad (Girl, Just Go Away)- Motley Crue
9. I Want You Back- Hoodoo Gurus
10. Melissa- The Allman Brothers
1. From the great Chicago band Shadows of Knight, who were best known for the big hit they had with their cover of Van Morrison and Them's "Gloria." This is on the great Nuggets collection.
2. I was talking to someone tonight at Bubs' party about how much it sucks to hear Clash songs in commercials. I might be okay with hearing the line "Jesus Christ, where did you get that Cadillac" in a Cadillac commercial, though-- unintentional irony, like hearing Iggy Pop's ode to heroin, "Lust For Life" in the cruise line commercial.
3. I know it's only bubblegum, but I like it.
4. First heard this one on my college radio station. I was looking up Jello Biafra, the singer for the Dead Kennedys on Wikipedia today and discovered that he was a roadie for the Ravers, who later became the Nails. I also learned that Jello turned 50 last month, and suddenly felt very old.
5. From Armed Forces, one of the great albums of the seventies.
6. Band on the Run was my favorite post-Beatles solo, and this is my favorite song from that album.
7. I was never a huge Jethro Tull fan, but I do like this song.
8. Love the video for this song.
9. The Hoodoo Gurus were an Australian band in the eighties who got some airplay, but were generally underappreciated.
10. I love this little gem from the "Eat A Peach" album.