Monday, January 28, 2008

A Dubious Anniversary


My old friend Dan just called to remind me that today was the 22nd anniversary of a red-letter day in his life: the day, when he was in college, that he found a dead guy on his front lawn. This was one of my earlier and most popular posts.

The picture, by the way, is of Dan re-enacting the scene a few months later, in the Spring of 1986.

We found out later that our friend, "Rex the Scumbag," ("He's a scumbag, but he's our scumbag") stole the dead guy's hat! This was a low, even for Rex.

5 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I remember the dead guy story, I think that was one of the first of your posts I ever read.

I wonder if Rex the Scumbag still has the dead guy's hat. And if he has ever worn it.

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely the funniest, oops, I mean saddest, story I've read. I hope you ordered pizza or made mac n' cheese in "dead lawn guys" honor.

Foofa said...

I just went and read that story and I haven't laughed that hard in quite a long time.

BeckEye said...

I have some fun college stories, but none that involve a dead guy on my lawn. They all just seem to involve me falling down.

Johnny Yen said...

Barbara-
I know he wore it immediately afterward.

Suze-
We should have dined on those things while listening to Jim Carroll's "People Who Died."

Natalie-
Sometimes, after all these years, I ask "How in the hell do I meet these people?" And then I say, "Why look a gift horse in the mouth...?"

Beckeye-
I've got a few of those, including Saturday. I fell over "Fatboy," one of my wife's cats when I came home from work that night. I had stopped for a beer after work. I found out that two of those who stayed longer than I did fell down on the way home.