Friday, June 05, 2009

Get The Summer Started Friday Random Ten

It's nearly officially summer, but we're still waiting for summer-like weather here in Chicago. I think today we may finally get it.

1. Treat Her Right- Roy Head
2. Shake Appeal- The Stooges
3. Masters of War- Bob Dylan
4. Rock Island Line- Johnny Cash
5. Billy, Don't Be A Hero- Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods
6. American Music- The Violent Femmes
7. Wild Billy's Circus Story- Bruce Springsteen
8. Jet Pilot- Bob Dylan
9. Stranger In The House
10. Slave To Love- Bryan Ferry




1. Love this oldie. It's the song at the end of "The Commitments."
2. From "Raw Power," a must-have album.
3. One of the most powerful antiwar songs ever.
4. A Johnny Cash song about a train? Wow, that hardly ever happens...
5. A big hunk of '70's cheese. Probably the worst antiwar song ever.
6. Heard a Violent Femmes song in a commercial recently. Never in a million years...
7. From Springsteen's second album.
8. An outtake that was included on Dylan's great box set, "Biograph."
9. First heard this one on Little Steven's Underground Garage.
10. I remember first hearing this one at Live Aid, which I watched on television in the summer or 1985.

4 comments:

BeckEye said...

I never really feel like it's summer until I hear Y&T's "Summertime Girls."

Erik Donald France said...

You know, I may still have Live Aid on tape, or was that Farm Aid?

Cool beans.

Churlita said...

I loved "Billy Don't Be a Hero" when I was a kid. I think Paper Lace may also have covered it.

I love anything from Raw Power. What an awesome album.

dmarks said...

There's a great anti-war song by Steeleye Span. But I can't recall the name of it at this time.