Thursday, October 22, 2009

Coda

Today, instead of going to clinicals at the hospital at 1 PM, my class met at the school to spend the day working on medications-- contraindications, prepping, dosages, etc. A few days ago, my teacher had taken a vote and asked if the class wanted to meet at the regular 1 PM to 7 PM or to start early and meet at 7:30 am and get out about 1 PM. I was out-voted, and we met early.

I was groggy, since I had closed the restaurant last night-- I managed to squeeze in about five and a half hours of sleep. I dropped my daughter off at a breakfast place down the street from her school, since I had to be at school before her normal drop-off time.

We plowed through the material, practicing dosage calculations with a couple of my classmates. At the end of class, the teacher announced that she would spend the last half hour or so meeting with us individually for our mid-term reviews-- a checklist of how we're doing.

When it was my turn to meet, my teacher asked me how I felt I was doing. I was not coy. I told her that I felt great about how I was doing, and that to be honest, I had no idea that I'd enjoy the material so much. She had some very nice things to say-- I'll leave it at that. I got 100% "Satisifactory" ratings-- the best I could have done. This is in addition to a B average for the classwork.

I ran out to have lunch with two of my classmates, picked up my daughter and her friend at school, headed home and took a much-needed nap. Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty satisfied right now.

6 comments:

Distributorcap said...

congratulations !!!!! 100% satisfaction guaranteed

Erik Donald France said...

Congrats, man! Well-deserved, especially at having to get up early (which always sucks) --
contraindicated is such an excellent word, and potential title for anything and everything.

Three cheers!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Keep it up buddy.

Churlita said...

Way to go! It's got to be really hard to try and balance it all. It looks like you're doing a great job with that.

LegalMist said...

I'm so glad you've found something you love! It makes those early mornings and late nights easier to bear, doesn't it?

Congrats on doing so well, too. :)

Johnny Yen said...

Distributorcap-
Thanks!

Erik-
Yes, it is a great word, isn't it? The medical profession is full of cool words like "immunocompromised" and "nosocomial" (an illness gotten in a hospital).

Monkerstein-
Thanks!

Churlita-
Thanks! It has been a challenge. I've always slept a lot less than most folks do, so that helps.

Legalmist-
Thanks, it does motivate me. My father-in-law said something to me recently about his career (insurance sales). He never felt like he was going to a job. He loved what he did, and felt glad that unlike other people he knew, he never hated going to work. I feel that way about what I'm getting into.