Just saw that Chicago got voted out in the first round of the Olympics voting. I'm not particularly upset by it-- there are lots of places the money would be better spent, like improving our terrible mass transit system, fixing our terrible schools or hiring more cops to deal with the crime rate in a lot of our neighborhoods.
1. Love Is The Stranger- Eurythmics
2. Bette Davis Eyes- Kim Carnes
3. Stupid Girl- The Rolling Stones
4. Maxwell's Silver Hammer- The Beatles
5. Lord Grenville- Al Stewart
6. Welcome To The Working Week- Elvis Costello
7. Joy- Apollo 100
8. They're Coming To Me Away- Napolean Bonaparte XIV
9. Cyprus Avenue- Van Morrison
10. You Light Up My Life- Patti Smith Group
1. This is my favorite Eurythmics song. Love the creepy video, too.
2. One hit wonder from the eighties.
3. I'm compiling a "Top Ten Most Un-PC Songs Ever" list for a future post. This song, from the terrific "Aftermath" album, is on that list.
4. We got the kids the Beatles Rock Band, so lots of Beatles going on around here lately.
5. From Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" record. It was one of the first records I bought, when I was in high school. Still love it.
6. This tune has one of the funniest opening lines ever.
7. A big hunk of '70's cheese, and I love it.
8. I loved hearing this one on Dr. Demento when I was a kid.
9. From the lovely Astral Weeks album.
10. Yes, THAT "You Light Up My Life." And yes, THAT Patti Smith. It's one of the little rarities I have on my Itunes.