Friday, February 15, 2008
Friday Random Ten
1. Fountain of Sorrow- Jackson Browne
2. The Pogues- Fiesta
3. Sounds of Silence- Simon and Garfunkel
4. One Step Ahead- Split Enz
5. You're A Big Girl Now- Bob Dylan
6. If I Knew- Joan Baez
7. I Fought The Law And The Law Won- The Clash
8. Harper Valley PTA- Jeannie C. Reilly
9. Animal Boy- The Ramones
10. Open Your Eyes- Lords Of The New Church
1. Jackson Browne at his most self-pitying. Tonio K had a great answer song to Fountain of Sorrow on his fabulous 1978 album Life In the Foodchain. The song, called H-A-T-R-E-D, recounts a less self-pitying response to break-up, and has the line "Fountain of Sorrow my ass, motherf*cker!."
2. From If I Should Fall From Grace With God, my favorite Pogues album.
3. Anybody remember the bit early on in Saturday Night Live History when Paul Simon was singing, with Charles Grodin wearing an Art Garfunkel wig? Art Garfunkel came out, confiscated the wig and Simon and Garfunkel had a reunion.
4. Split Enz had a small hit with this one, a bigger one with I Got You. They mutated into Crowded House and had a couple more hits.
5. Bob Dylan singing about being dumped by his wife Sara.
6. A lovely anti-war song by Joan Baez, who Dylan dumped to date Sara, who he married.
7. The Clash's great cover of a great Bobby Fuller Four song.
8. I've loved this song since I was a kid.
9. What's a Friday Random Ten without the Ramones?
10. A punk supergroup fronted by the late, great Stiv Bators.