Friday, April 17, 2009

The "It's All Good" Friday Random Ten

I'm plowing through a bunch of Anatomy today-- joints and muscles. I've got a test Monday.

In the meantime, it's all good today. We've been nervous about Kim's job, but it looks good for now. My stepdaughter made the softball team, we were extremely busy at my work this week, I'm signed up for my summer school class (Anatomy II) and the weather's finally nice.

Oh, and the Cubs whipped the Cardinals.

1. I Can't Help You Now- Bonnie Raitt
2. Rock Island Line- Little Richard with Fishbone
3. Love Kills- Joe Strummer
4. Highway 61- The Blasters
5. Younger Girl- The Lovin' Spoonful
6. The Girl With No Name- The Byrds
7. Stuck Inside of Mobile With the Memphis Blues Again- Bob Dylan
8. MFSB- TSOP
9. Morning Dew- The Grateful Dead
10. Beautiful- Gordon Lightfoot

and one more...
11. Rebel Waltz- The Clash

Notes:
1. She scored a big hit in 1992 with "Something To Talk About," but Bonnie Raitt was around for a long time before that. I like this song, and love her cover of Dylan's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue."
2. From "A Vision Shared," a benefit for the Folkways record label, which cataloged tons of American music.
3. From the "Sid and Nancy" soundtrack.
4. From the Blasters' fabulous self-titled first album.
5. These guys are best known for "Summer In the City," but also had a bunch of other hits.
6. The more the years pass, the more I love the Byrds
7. From Blonde On Blonde, an essential album. A lot of people picked Dylan's music apart, but they missed something obvious-- the guy was friggin' funny.
8. Mostly-instrumental R and B/Disco hit. MFSB was "Mother Father Sister Brother," and TSOP was "The Sound of Philadelphia. Was the theme song for the Chicago-based show "Soul Train." The singing at the end was by The Three Degrees, who had their own hit in 1974 with "When Will I See You Again."
9. I've heard versions of this by Rod Stewart, the Allman Brothers and others, but this one is my favorite.
10. One of Gord's lesser-known hits, but a lovely one nonetheless.
11. Had to include this one, which played after my Random Ten was done. It's a beautiful, haunting song of hope and Central American revolution from the great Sandinista! album, which I finally got on cd.

4 comments:

Erik Donald France said...

Good luck on your test, man!

Bonnie Raitt keeps coming up lately. Saw her in concert (a good one) and yes, way back in the early 80s. One of my sisters both looks and acts like her, and is a fan.

Churlita said...

I love the Blasters, my college roommate's band plays with Dave Alvin sometimes. I think it must feel really weird to be able to play with musicians you listened to and loved when you were younger.

GETkristiLOVE said...

Cool, now we get to root on both your kids this summer!

Anonymous said...

情趣,情趣用品,巴黎,

SM,G點,按摩棒,
變頻跳蛋,
跳蛋,無線跳蛋,

飛機杯,數位按摩棒,
充氣娃娃,
自慰套,自慰套,
情趣娃娃,自慰器,
電動自慰器,充氣娃娃,
角色扮演,

潤滑液,
情趣禮物,情趣玩具,
威而柔,逼真按摩棒,
情人趣味千奈,情人趣味用品,