Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I REALLY Hate My Job, Part 2


On Tuesdays, we dismiss the students about a half hour early so that we can have a staff meeting. This staff meeting was eagerly anticipated so that the staff could bring up it's myriad concerns, including the fact that the principal was in the school less and less.

We had the staff meeting, but couldn't tell the principal about our concerns-- because she wasn't there. It would have been comical if it hadn't sucked so much.

But it got even better. We expressed our concerns to the assistant principal, who told us of his various attempts to address our concerns that were nixed by the absent principal. I could see that we were getting nowhere, and I had to pick up my step-daughter, so I left the room at 3:00, our dismissal time, to get my coat and bag and leave.

As I got ready to walk out the door, I heard yelling, and walked toward the room we'd had the meeting in to see the sight of our counselor, whose incompetence has been the source of many of the problems in the school, screeching at the assistant principal, who'd gone to her office to ask her why she hadn't attended the meeting. She had followed him back to the room yelling at the top of her lungs about how the meeting wouldn't help her do her job, etc. It was one of the most unprofessional and uncomfortable things I'd ever witnessed in any job setting in my life.

So add this to a shortage of text-books, still not having the IEP's in a school in which easily half of the students have learning disabilities, an administration that looks at the teachers as the problem, and not the solution, a completely ineffective discipline plan and a generally bad morale. I'll be filling out job applications online today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can you believe how incredibly peaceful it is today? I am so not looking forward to the meeting today.