Friday, October 19, 2007

The "I Feel Good" Friday Random Ten

I started the new job yesterday. It's really funny-- the place is somewhat similar in concept to the awful place I worked downtown-- Irish-themed Pub/Restaurant-- but it's so much nicer a place to work. I really feel more like I'm joining a family than starting a new job. The people who own the place are wonderful, and my co-workers are great. And it looks like the money is going to be good, too.


1. Calling Dr. Love- Shandi's Addiction
2. Dancing Days- Led Zeppelin
3. Lullaby- The Cure
4. Carefree Highway- Gordon Lightfoot
5. The Swing- INXS
6. Makes No Sense At All- Husker Du
7. Soul Love- David Bowie
8. Cretin Hop- The Ramones
9. Wreck On the Highway- George Jones
10. Love Will Tear Us Apart- Joy Division


Notes:
1. From the awesome Kiss My Ass Kiss tribute album.
2. "I told your mother that I'd take you home/But I didn't tell her I had no car..."
3. The Cure got overplayed in the eighties, but I think I'm finally over it. I love this moody little song.
4. Has one of the great opening lines ever:

Pickin' up the pieces of my sweet shattered dream
I wonder how the old folks are tonight
Her name was Anne and I'll be damned if I recall her face
She left me no knowin' what to do....


5. This was one of my favorite records in college. It was right before INXS got huge.
6. Can Husker Du really have been gone 20 years?
7. Ziggy Stardust was one of the first records I ever bought, and it still sounds great today more than 30 years later.
8. There's just no stoppin' the cretins from hoppin'!
9. George Jones is a national treasure. My favorite song of his is the country classic Window Up Above.
10. Back in the eighties, my late friend Mark went to the Cabaret Metro, right around the corner from the Wrigleyville apartment that he and the Elk and I shared, and saw Camper Van Beethoven. He told me later that they encored with two songs: a cover of the Captain and Tennille's Love Will Keep Us Together and then a cover of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart. Funny guys, those Campers.

10 comments:

Joe said...

I didn't know George Jones did "Wreck on the Highway" I have an older version by Roy Acuff, who may or may not have actually written it. That's another tune I used to sing to my kids.

It is so cool to see Gordon Lightfoot, George Jones and Joy Division on the same list.

Glad the job looks good!

SkylersDad said...

Damn I love Gordon Lightfoot!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

"they encored with two songs: a cover of the Captain and Tennille's Love Will Keep Us Together and then a cover of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart."

hahaha the two are almost indistinguishable!

Splotchy said...

Can Husker Du really have been gone 20 years?

Honestly, it makes no sense at all.

Barbara (that shy avatar right above me!) has a post about the new Ian Curtis biopic Control. I wasn't aware it was a-comin' out.

Cup said...

"Makes No Sense at All" is such a brilliant song. My Occasionally Beloved Engineer was almost hired by Bob Mould to be the Sugar bassist ... but OBE picked stable, grown-up employment instead ... and regrets it to this day.

lulu said...

Is it an "Irish-themed" pub if the owner is actually Irish?

yournamehere said...

I think someone should sing "Love Will Keep Us Together" Ian Curtis-style.

Traveling Matt said...

woulda been very fun to have seen camper van beethoven back in the day... i don't mind that the cure was overplayed in the 80s. i mind that they turned horrible in the ate 90s
:(

Dale said...

I love the INXS song and album but I think my favourite on the Kiss My Ass album is the Garth Brooks version of Hard Luck Woman.

Are you planning to see Control?

Dale said...

Oh, and my other favourite on the Kiss album is the Toad The Wet Sprocket version of RnR All Nite. Love it.