I started the new job yesterday. It's really funny-- the place is somewhat similar in concept to the awful place I worked downtown-- Irish-themed Pub/Restaurant-- but it's so much nicer a place to work. I really feel more like I'm joining a family than starting a new job. The people who own the place are wonderful, and my co-workers are great. And it looks like the money is going to be good, too.
1. Calling Dr. Love- Shandi's Addiction
2. Dancing Days- Led Zeppelin
3. Lullaby- The Cure
4. Carefree Highway- Gordon Lightfoot
5. The Swing- INXS
6. Makes No Sense At All- Husker Du
7. Soul Love- David Bowie
8. Cretin Hop- The Ramones
9. Wreck On the Highway- George Jones
10. Love Will Tear Us Apart- Joy Division
1. From the awesome Kiss My Ass Kiss tribute album.
2. "I told your mother that I'd take you home/But I didn't tell her I had no car..."
3. The Cure got overplayed in the eighties, but I think I'm finally over it. I love this moody little song.
4. Has one of the great opening lines ever:
Pickin' up the pieces of my sweet shattered dream
I wonder how the old folks are tonight
Her name was Anne and I'll be damned if I recall her face
She left me no knowin' what to do....
5. This was one of my favorite records in college. It was right before INXS got huge.
6. Can Husker Du really have been gone 20 years?
7. Ziggy Stardust was one of the first records I ever bought, and it still sounds great today more than 30 years later.
8. There's just no stoppin' the cretins from hoppin'!
9. George Jones is a national treasure. My favorite song of his is the country classic Window Up Above.
10. Back in the eighties, my late friend Mark went to the Cabaret Metro, right around the corner from the Wrigleyville apartment that he and the Elk and I shared, and saw Camper Van Beethoven. He told me later that they encored with two songs: a cover of the Captain and Tennille's Love Will Keep Us Together and then a cover of Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart. Funny guys, those Campers.