Sunday, October 28, 2007

What Does This Bode?

Today, Adam and I went down to the "Museum Formerly Known As The Chicago Historical Society." It was closed for nearly a year, and re-emerged as the Chicago History Museum.

The Chicago History Museum is the plain-jane stepsister of Chicago Museums. Because it's not as flashy as other museums in Chicago-- no World War II fighters hanging from the ceiling or dinosaur fossils gracing the main floor-- it gets lost in the shuffle in the Chicago museum pecking order. It is, however, a favorite. I'll be posting over the next few days about the dense and wonderful visit Adam and I had to the museum today. But before that, I have to post briefly about a strange thing that happened today.

As we left our apartment to walk to the el, to go to the museum, we stopped to take note of a couple of bumper stickers we saw on a car. We stopped to take pictures of the stickers, which were on a hybrid car with Wisconsin plates. We surmised that perhaps the young guys who live next door had a college friend visiting.





We had a grand time at the museum and took the bus back home. When it came time for him to go to my ex's home, we got in my Blazer and got on the Kennedy Expressway. As we drove along, I pointed out that the car in the lane next to us had the "If You're Not Outraged..." bumper sticker we'd seen on the car parked in front of our home earlier in the day. At the same time, we both saw that it also had the "Impeach Bush" sticker. I think at the same moment, we both noticed the Wisconsin plates (cue "Twilight Zone" theme) and realized it was the car we'd seen in front of our home earlier in the day.

Does it bode good things to come? Hell, the Boston Red Sox just won the World Series for the second time in three years. Anything can happen.

16 comments:

lulu said...

I love the history museum. Although it isn't grand in the way that the Field or the Art Institute is, there is always a great exhibit. Some of my students from last year were involved in recording the audio tours. So if you got headphones, you probably heard them!

Tenacious S said...

I love the "Outraged" bumper sticker. I had a hard time falling asleep last night. Just thinking about all of the unfairness and the upcoming election. Glad you guys enjoyed the museum. I went as a kid, but haven't taken mine yet. I wanted to make sure they would be old enough to appreciate what they were seeing.

SkylersDad said...

My recent favorite bumper sticker is "No one died when Clinton lied"

Joe said...

I think it bodes that if you live in Lakeview and do intellectual stuff like going to museums, you're far more likely to see anti-Bush bumper stickers.

I wish it meant more.

Foofa said...

I haven't been to that museum. I should most certainly take a trip.

Cup said...

I'm taking it as a good sign. I'll grab any good sign I can right now.

Traveling Matt said...

i've been meaning to go to that museum for the longest. i love chicago history, particularly specific neighborhood history.

that "...not outraged..." bumper sticker has been running through my mind (not in those exact words though) since saturday.

Moderator said...

They're onto you. Watch your back!

GETkristiLOVE said...

Even more odd, it looked nice and sunny in Chicago.

Erik Donald France said...

Kewel. The stickers and signs.

I liked the former "Historical" name better, I must admit.

The Idea Of Progress said...

Okay, okay, I'll stop following you.

lulu said...

They got rid of the Historical Society name because people thought that it was a private organization.

Mob said...

That just proves what a small world it really is...

And that people are possibly wising up.

Doc said...

Ditto Beth and Bubs. I'll take any good sign I can find.

Doc

Johnny Yen said...

Lulu-
We did do the ipod tour! Very cool about your students.

TenS-
I'm still astounded that a large portion of the American public hasn't seen what's going on.

Your kids would love the museum. It's really oriented toward students.

Skyler's Dad-
I've seen that one too. One I had, until it wore off my car, was "I Never Thought I'd Miss Nixon." These guys make Nixon look great by comparison.

Bubs-
It was actually about three miles from where we'd seen the car parked-- of the thousands of cars on the Kennedy, we'd ended up next to that one. It was weird.

Yes, I'm waiting for the majority of middle America to get on the ball. If you can, read Frank Rich's excellent op-ed piece from this weekend about how even religious right-wingers are starting to worry about the war, the economy and health care. Religious matters are at the bottom of the list for most.

Natalie-
You absolutely should get there, as a Chicago resident. They've also got a great bookstore, that you can go to even if you don't visit the museum.

Monica-
It's a great, balanced view of Chicago's history-- warts and all. They've got good exhibits on the '68 convention riots, the Haymarket incident and the 1919 race riots, and other things.

Yeah, I think the words "pissed off" come to mind for me.

Grant-
Damn, I hate it when that happens.

That's all right, they can add it to my FBI and CIA files. Seriously. I know I have them, because a friend of mine saw his and saw references to my files.

Kristi-
Oddly enough, it was a stunningly beautiful Autumn day. We actually get those once in a while.

Erik-
Thanks! I liked it better too.

Lulu-
I wondered why the change.

Mob-
You can't imagine how small my world gets every day. I was waiting on my high school chemistry lab partner and her family last night. And yes, I'd like to think at least some folks are wising up.

Doc-
I'm with you there Doc.

I was watching a part of a Frontline on Karl Rove that I picked up at the library, that I burned to watch later, and realized how much he believes the shit he shovels, and how we need to paint a target on his back.

Anonymous said...

Bush aside, if liberals and conservatives don't find some common ground this country is screwed.