Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Brand Names

I had to make a quick trip to the store to buy a frozen pizza for my stepdaughter and her friends to have for lunch. I noticed that the new restaurant that opened up near my house had added a new sign and sidewalk tables. It didn't seem to make a difference-- it's nearly always empty.

Truth be told, I haven't checked the place out. The fact of the matter-- and I suspect I'm not alone in this in my neighborhood-- is that I can't get past the unfathomably idiotic name: "Paddy O'Splaine's." Sometimes, presentation is everything. And the name is a big part of the presentation.

I was reminded of a story that I've heard many times, and did a little research on it. Supposedly, when GM sold the Chevy Nova in Latin America, they had trouble-- that "Nova" sounds like "no va," which means "doesn't go" in Spanish. It's cited in textbooks and in marketing books as an example of cultural insensitivity and stupidity by marketers.

Unfortunately, like many things in life, the story is better than the truth here. I checked Snopes and discovered that the story is an Urban Legend.

But I'm still not going to Paddy O'Splaine's.

8 comments:

Doc said...

What? You don't like Irish food?

Doc

SkylersDad said...

Now if it was Paddy O'Spleens, you would have a winner of a restaurant!

Foofa said...

I think my Spanish teacher kn 9th grade was the first person to tell me the "nova/no va" story. I have since told it to many people. I will now stop. I think Paddy O'Splaine's is kind of an awesome name. I say check it out.

Anonymous said...

I wish it would've been Paddy O'Furniture. That's just me. Carry on.

Erik Donald France said...

Paddy O'Splaine's? Gotta love it. Must have splained their brains coming up with that one ;->

lulu said...

I used to drive a Nova. I loved that car.

purplelar said...

I really miss my 1978 Pontiac Catalina. Of course I also miss the $1.50 a gallon it cost to drive it back in 1987. . .

Mnmom said...

Im with Skylersdad - makes me think "spleen" which does nothing for my appetite.