16 years ago today, my dear friend Larry Smith gathered a bunch of people at the Village Tap, a tavern in Chicago's Roscoe Village neighborhood. He managed to get most of the close friends I have in the world there to celebrate my 30th birthday.
As the festivities progressed, Larry, my friend since we were next-door neighbors in college, got up to make a toast, and explained that the reason the turnout was so good was that most of the people there really hadn't believed I'd make it to 30.
Here I am at 46. How the hell did that happen?
Anyway, here's my random 10:
1. Hanky Panky- Tommy James and the Shondells
2. Skin It Back- Little Feat
3. Train in Vain- The Clash
4. Yeah Yeah- Cyndi Lauper
5. Down to Seeds and Stems Again- Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen
6. Lovelines- The Replacements
7. In the Heat of the Summer- Phil Ochs
8. Pablo Picasso- Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers
9. Oliver's Army- Elvis Costello and the Attractions
10. Thrasher- Neil Young
My birthday present to you all is a picture my kid brother took of me in 1984, when I was half the age I am at now, and another idiot was living in the White House.