I wasn't sure when I was going to get to do my Random Ten today-- my wife, my son and I (stepdaughter's with her father going to see High School Musical live tonight) are going to a dinner party. Brought the ipod to work with me, with the hope that one of my lesser-attended classes in the afternoon might be empty. Unfortunately, some of the little bastards insisted on showing up, so I did my Ten going from work to my ex's house to pick my son up.
1. Smalltown Boy- The Bronski Beat
2. The Ballad of Spider John- Jimmy Buffett
3. Voodoo Child- The Jimi Hendrix Experience
4. Doggone- Marvin Gaye
5. Kansas City- Wilbur Harrison
6. Baby, I'm Yours- Barbara Lewis
7. Frankenstein- They Might Be Giants
8. Black-Eyed Farmer- Frankie Miller
9. The Moon is Shining- Indigenous
10. Heart of the City- Nick Lowe
Yes, it's that "Frankenstein"-- the old Edgar Winter Group song. It was live, from a concert TMBG did in Central Park. It's probably one of my five top favorite covers.
I have no idea how the Frankie Miller song got on there. He's an old singer who's best known by my generation for being the guy who sang the theme song for Mel Brooks' "Blazing Saddles."