Thursday, January 18, 2007

Okay, This is Weird...

I took a test I stole from Vikki, who stole it from Megan, who stole it from Big Orange, who presumably stole it from somebody else...

Here was my answer:




You're A Prayer for Owen Meany!

by John Irving

Despite humble and perhaps literally small beginnings, you inspire faith in almost everyone you know. You are an agent of higher powers, and you manifest this fact in mysterious and loud ways. A sense of destiny pervades your every waking moment, and you prepare with great detail for destiny fulfilled. When you speak, IT SOUNDS LIKE THIS!


Take the Book Quiz
at the Blue Pyramid.



Here's the weird thing: on New Year's Day, I was posting about "Rants, Raves and Resolutions", and mentioned that I strove to read more fiction. Flannery Aiden kindly suggested some John Irving, including "A Prayer for Owen Meany." I actually went to the library a couple of days later with the intention of checking "Prayer" out, but all their copies were checked out. I checked out another of Flannery's suggestions, "A Son of the Circus," instead, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. Now I'm definitely going to have to go back for "A Prayer For Owen Meany."

13 comments:

lulu said...

You wanted to read more non-fiction and she recommended Irving? I hate to be the one to break it to you, but it isn't a true story. ;-)

Cup said...

Both Irvings are great. You should also read The World According to Garp and Widow for a Year. Oh, and Hotel New Hampshire.

And try Time Sandlin, particularly the GroVont trilogy.

Johnny Yen said...

Lu-
Oops! Meant to type "fiction."

Beth-
Thanks for the recomendations!

barista brat said...

i second beth's reccommendations. especially 'a widow for one year'.

Kaer Trouz said...

Sorry Johnny-
Irving is an overrated, verbose writer who was featured in Time Magazine circa 1984. 'Nuff said.
Great fiction? Murakami & Steinbeck. Will keep you well read, at least for a year.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Hey, I'm Catch 22! How cool is that?

And I really like John Irving - loved Son of the Circus. I hope you are still enjoying it.

Barbara Bruederlin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erik Donald France said...

Nifty-fifty quiz. I got Kurt Vonnegut for some reason ;)

kim said...

I'm in agreement with Palette, with the exception of World According to Garp. . .but it's kind of like what happened to Coppola. . .he wrote that before he thought who he is.

By the way, this quiz for you my darling. . .see, I told you you weren't a true atheist.

lulu said...

Personally, I love Irving, particularly Cider House Rules, but to each her own. If you are looking for fiction suggestions start with Robertson Davies.

Johnny Yen said...

Barista-
Thanks

Palette-
I don't hold any illusions he's fine literature or anything-- I'm just enjoying reading some fiction for a change. I'm usually all about non-fiction. And I love Steinbeck-- Cannery Row is one of my favorite books. I usually reread it every few years.

Barb-
Way-cool! I am still enjoying "Son of the Circus."

Erik-
Vonnegut-- imagine that! You?

You know, I have to admit, I've never gotten around to reading his best-known book, Slaughterhouse Five (I've read a bunch of his other stuff) Maybe I should add that to my "Goals" list.

Kim-
I don't care who he thinks he is-- I'm enjoying the book. And I'm still an athiest ; )

Lulu-
Thanks for the suggestion!

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

God is trying to tell you to read John Irving!

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying A Son of a Circus; it is my favorite Irving book.

Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch for this reminder. I wrote this title in a notebook several years ago and forgot about it.