Thursday, April 26, 2007

Random Ten For Report Card Day

Today is report card pick-up day, so I didn't have to be at work until 11:30. The other teachers and I are trying to guess how many parents we'll have. Last time we had 10.

Don Ho is barely cold in his grave, and he's popped up for an appearance in my Friday Random 10. How cool is that?

1. The Ocean- Led Zeppelin
2. Tiny Bubbles- Don Ho
3. Crystal Liason- The Fugs
4. Phil Ochs, Bob Dylan, Steve Goodman, David Blue and Me- John Wesley Harding
5. King of Love- Dave Edmunds
6. Incident At Neshabur- Santana
7. Stop the Clock- The Blasters
8. Mama, Look a Boo Boo- Robert Mitchum
9. Candy- Iggy Pop
10. White Boots Marching In A Yellow Land- Phil Ochs

Notes:
1. The best track from one of Led Zeppelin's weaker efforts, Houses of the Holy
2. Don Frickin' Ho!
3. Ed Sanders and the wonderfully irreverent sixties icons The Fugs
4. This one keeps popping up on my Random 10. Maybe it's trying to tell me something.
5. From the great Dave Edmunds box set.
6. From Abraxas, an album I finally got on cd.
7. The second-greatest group of the eighties, after the Clash.
8. From Robert Mitchum's great calypso album. Yeah, that Robert Mitchum.
9. The Ig sings this one with the B-52s' Kate Pierson. I think it was actually his biggest hit.
10. The late, great Phil Ochs, warning us about the folly of military adventures in Asia. We need to start listening.

11 comments:

Clay Eals said...

Johnny:

Good to see your post that includes the John Wesley Harding song with Steve Goodman in the title. Goodman often doesn't get his due.

Thought you might be interested in an eight-year project of mine that is coming to fruition -- a biography of Goodman that will be published one week from today. Of particular note to you is that the book will come with a bonus 18-track CD of songs written and performed by other artists in tribute to Goodman, and the CD includes a previously unreleased (and, to my mind, much better) version of the JWH song that you listed.

Please e-mail me at ceals@comcast.net if you would like me to e-mail you a background sheet on the Goodman book/CD. Or check my Internet site below for more info and how to pre-order, if you like. Just trying to spread the word. Feel free to do the same!

Clay Eals
1728 California Ave. S.W. #301
Seattle, WA 98116-1958

(206) 935-7515
ceals@comcast.net
http://www.clayeals.com

Joe said...

Great list! A lot of people don't know that Mitchum had a cool singing career, and that song is from a whole ALBUM of calypso. Perfect for margarita Friday!

Johnny Yen said...

Clay-
I definitely will be contacting you-- that book and cd look great!

I was lucky enough to see Goodman perform twice-- once in the summer of 1979 with the wonderful Bonnie Koloc and a summer or two later at Chicagofest with his friend and frequent collaborator John Prine.

I was sad during the Cubs' playoffs in 1984-- Goodman missed seeing that by only a month or so.

Bubs-
My friend Dan (he of the "Elvis rescue story") bought that album in vinyl at a garage sale and gave it as a gag gift. The guy he gave it to discovered it was worth a lot of money!

When I first started dating Kim, the first time I was over at her apartment, I saw the cd right at the front of her cd collection. I knew then that I was dating the right woman.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Don Ho is trying to tell you that margaritas are actually kinda nasty things, and that you should be sipping something bubbly.

SamuraiFrog said...

Boy am I glad I hear Robert Mitchum's version of that song. The man was pure cool, and for my money that calypso album was even better than Belafonte. But I've been known to break into "Jean and Dinah" or "From a Logical Point of View" when I'm a bit tired and there are women about.

Joe said...

You know, I think Barbara is right. You need me and MizBubs to fix up a few Don Ho Motherf*ckers.

Tiny bubbles, indeed.

Dale said...

How could Tiny Bubbles not pop up? :-) I have it on very good authority that the Dave Edmunds and Phil Ochs box sets are excellent. They've been playing a lot here. I'm definitely looking up the Iggy and Mitchum songs. Way to go Johnny Yen.

Erik Donald France said...

"Candy" is a sweet little duet. I saw in a boostore there's a new Iggy bio. out -- Open Up and Bleed. Lots of new pix. Margarita cheers'

Toccata said...

It's the little asides you give that I like so much.

Phil Ochs! That one makes me want to pull out my old vinyl records and have a spin through old times.

Tenacious S said...

Hey, wait a minute! I like Houses of the Holy. Have I liked a crap album for years?

Dale said...

Candy! I remember Candy now, after finding a copy again. Great tune.