"There's a place
I can get to
Where I'm safe
From the city blues
And its green
And its quiet"
I'm hanging out right now in one of my favorite places in the world, my friend Andreas' little side-of-the-house garden. His tenant, Joey, was kind enough to give me the password for his wireless broadband, so I can sit out here and post.
Andreas' home sits on what used to be a river bed, so not surprisingly it's easy to grow things. I think that everyone on his block has a little garden.
A few days ago, Dale posted a fun little meme where you set your itunes to shuffle and use them to answer a set of questions. I mulliganed my first one-- given that I'm a happily married guy, some of them might not have been funny to Mrs. Yen. Here's my new one-- some are pretty damned funny.
1. How does the world see me? I Don't Believe You- Bob Dylan
2. Will I have a happy life? Mr. Spaceman- The Byrds
3. What do my friends really think of me? Down In the Valley- Johnny Cash
4. Do people secretly lust after me? December- Collective Soul
5. How can I make myself happy? Harbor Lights- Boz Scaggs
6. What should I do with my life? Down On Mission Street- Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
7. Will I ever have children? The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face- Johnny Cash (note: I have two kids)
8. What is some good advice for me? We Belong Together- Ricki Lee Jones
9. How will I be remembered? I Don't Know What It Is- Pete Shelley
10. What is my signature dancing song? More Today Than Yesterday- The Spiral Staircase
11. What do I think my current theme song is? You Ain't Tuff- The Uniques
12. What does everyone else think my current theme song is? Girls- David Johansen
13. What song will play at my funeral? Poison Arrow- ABC
14. What type of women/men do I like? Harley-Davidson - Brigette Bardot
15. What is my day going to be like? Angel of the Morning- Merilee Rush
16. Will I ever have love again? Still In Love- Taxxi
17. What type of sex life do I have? Talking In Your Sleep- Crystal Gale
18. What song would be the title of my own porno movie? I Feel Good- James Brown
My wife Kim is on her way to visit family in Minnesota. She was incredulous that I kept my Jim Beam consumption to a minimum last night (a glass and a half). As you can see, we made barely a dent in the bottle. As my lovely bride pointed out, when I lost 35 pounds a couple of years ago in the interest of staving off diabetes, my ability to consume fire water plummetted. That was probably not a bad thing.
Later on, Andreas and I are going to go try to find Archie McPhee's a novelty store, and get some goodies to bring back for my kids.