Since the school I work at started two weeks late, they're also ending late. But it's here at last-- the end of the school year.
The Beach Boys must have paid attention to me yesterday-- they showed up twice on my Random 10.
1. The Warmth of the Sun- The Beach Boys
2. Star- David Bowie
3. Little Miss Can't Be Wrong- The Spin Doctors
4. Little Deuce Coupe- The Beach Boys
5. Highway 61- The Blasters
6. The Sad Sound of the Wind- Jules Shear
7. Five Feet High and Rising- Johnny Cash
8. Bent- Matchbox 20
9. But Not For Me- Elton John
10. Come Anytime- Hoodoo Gurus
1. I know a lot of people think they're not cool, or whitebread or whatever, but Brian Wilson was an amazing songwriter. And I love those harmonies.
2. From "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars," an album that is 35 years old and still sounds great.
3. "I hope them cigarettes are gonna make you cough/I hope you hear this song, and it pisses you off." This song is hilarious.
4. See #1.
5. Originally on The Blasters' first album, now on their Testament box set.
6. This guy's been around forever-- I saw him open for Peter Gabriel at the Uptown Theater in Chicago in 1980 for Peter Gabriel as "Jules and the Polar Bears."
7. From the great Johnny Cash box set.
8. Whatever happened to these guys?
9. A George and Ira Gershwin song-- this version was in "Four Weddings and a Funeral."
10. A great Australian band from the 1980's.