Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I Am Spartacus...


A few days ago, I noticed that I couldn't get through to Shakesville (formerly Shakespeare's Sister), one of my favorite political blogs. I found out the reason.

According to Blue Gal (via Splotchy, Dr. Zaius and Samurai Frog-- thanks guys!) Shakesville has been the target of a denial-of-service attack, presumably from right wing pukes.

We are being called upon to invoke the final scene of the terrific 1960 Stanley Kubrick movie Spartacus. For anyone who hasn't seen the movie (I know most if not all reading this probably have) toward the end, the Romans have defeated the slave rebellion, and are willing to grant amnesty to all the slaves if they will turn over Spartacus. Spartacus is about to turn himself in, when one slave, then another, then dozens, then all of them, one by one rise and declare "I am Spartacus!" It's one of the most powerful scenes ever in a movie.

I am tired of these racist, homophobic, religious-hypocrite jackasses peddling their fear and fascism, which is really window-dressing for a wholesale looting of our country. I am tired of being told that I should be happy that in my country I can dissent, so "shut the f*ck up!" I am tired of the lies, the attacks and let's face it, I'm tired of the bullying, goddammit.

I am Spartacus. I am Shakesville.

2 comments:

GETkristiLOVE said...

I need to 'flix that movie - haven't seen it for a very, very long time. What a cast.

bubbles said...

No, I am Shakesville.

And I'm f'ing sick of the lies, our loss of civil liberties, and the general public acceptance of losing our rights in the name of "protecting" us.