The "Alternative" high school I teach at was supposed to close last year. When another alternative high school pulled the plug, we got their contract and reopened at the last minute, two weeks later than all the other Chicago public schools. Hence, we are also ending two weeks later.
As a co-worker just said, "I am so over this place."
But hey-- Bob Dylan and both Elvises (Elvi?) showed up on my Random 10 this morning. Things can't be too bad!
1. No Way- David Gilmour
2. One Track Mind- The Knickerbockers
3. (Feels Like) Heaven- Fiction Factory
4. Mystery Dance- Elvis Costello
5. The Ballad of Lucy Jordan- Marianne Faithful
6. When I Was Young- The Animals
7. Miles From Our Home- The Cowboy Junkies
8. Burning Love- Elvis Presley
9. Glynis- Smashing Pumpkins
10. It Takes a Lot To Laugh, It Takes a Train To Cry- Bob Dylan
1. From a great solo album Pink Floyd guitarist David Gilmour released in 1978.
2. From the "Nuggets" garage-rock box set
3. I somehow missed this little eighties gem until I heard it on the Comcast "New Wave" cable radio station a couple of years ago.
4. Maybe it's just me, but I thought Elvis Costello was a lot better when he was young and still pissed off about everything.
5. Believe it or not, Marianne Faithful thought about being a nun as a young lass-- until she slept with three of the Rolling Stones.
6. "Pain was more painful/Laughter much louder, yeah/When I was young...."
7. "If I could just connect all these dots/The truth would tumble like a cynic vexed by love..."
8. "'Cause your kisses lift me higher/Like a sweet song of a choir/And light my morning sky/With burning love"
9. From the "No Alternative" benefit album.
10. From "Highway 61 Revisited," one of my "desert island" albums.