Friday, October 17, 2008

Midterm Friday Random Ten

Got my midterm grade for English 101 class today. I'll let you guess...

I'm going to run out and pick up my son in a little while and then my kids and I are going to walk over to the nearby Book Cellar to see Ursula Bielski, who wrote Chicago Haunts and other books about ghosts in Chicago. My kids both love her books.

1. I Never Loved A Man- Aretha Franklin
2. Jump Street- Boz Scaggs
3. I Don't Mind- The Who
4. I'm So Proud- Curtis Mayfield
5. Liar, Liar- The Castaways
6. Give It To Me- J. Geils Band
7. 25 Minutes To Go- Johnny Cash
8. Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)- Eurythmics
9. Tonight, I'll Be Staying Here With You- Bob Dylan
10. What Is This Generation Coming To?- Robert Mitchum


Notes:
1. There are a whole bunch of R and B standards that I now associate with "The Commitments." This is one of them.
2. I still love Boz Scaggs' "Silk Degrees" more than 30 years later.
3. The Who covering James Brown.
4. One of Chicago's underappreciated treasures.
5. From the fabulous "Nuggets" garage rock collection.
6. This was their biggest hit until their #1 hit "Centerfold." They sang "Give It To Me" when I saw them in my first concert, in the summer of 1977, at Soldiers Field at the "Superbowl of Rock."
7. Man, I still miss Johnny Cash.
8. Good lord-- is this song really 25 years old?
9. I love the scene in "High Fidelity" with this song in it.
10. Yes, that Robert Mitchum. Great calypso album.

1 comment:

dmarks said...

That Who song is not familiar to me at all.

I thought that the biggest J. Geils hit before "Centerfold" was "Love Stinks". This other one is not familiar.