Friday, October 10, 2008

The "Yes, It Can Get Worse" Friday Random Ten

I opened my mail yesterday to discover that my retirement account lost nearly a third of its value recently. I really, really hate these assholes in the White House.

I'll just have to sit on the account, hope that we get some good news in November and hope my retirement account eventually regains its value.

In the meantime, there's still great music to listen to...


1. Jimmy Mack- Martha Reeves and the Vandellas
2. El Condor Pasa (If I Could)- Simon and Garfunkel
3. Humdrum- Peter Gabriel
4. Blue Sky- The Allman Brothers Band
5. We Will Not Be Lovers- The Waterboys
6. D.C.B.A- 25- The Jefferson Airplane
7. Wreck On the Highway- Bruce Springsteen
8. She's About A Mover- Sir Douglas Quintet
9. Brand New Cadillac- The Clash
10. Ain't Got No Money- Frankie Miller


Notes:
1. Their best-known hit was "Heat Wave," but this one is my favorite.
2. From "Bridge Over Troubled Water," S & G's best selling album.
3. Peter Gabriel scored a homerun on his first solo album after leaving Genesis.
4. I love me some Allman Brothers!
5. From the fabulous "Fisherman's Blues" album.
6. Surrealist Pillow, which this is from, is one of my "desert island" albums.
7. The closing track on "The River," which was released 28 years ago. Doesn't that make you feel old?
8. Has one of my favorite lines in a song: "Yeah she strolled on up to me/And asked me "big boy," what's your name?" The band, form Texas, was marketed as a British invasion band. To hide the fact that two members of the band were latino, their first album cover had them in silhouette.
9. "I said 'Jesus Christ, where did you get that Cadillac?"
10. Bob Seger popularized British pub-rocker Frankie Milller's song. This is the original.

5 comments:

Fran said...

Oh Johnny Yen- you had me at Jimmy Mack.

Deep sigh.

Dale said...

Anytime The Waterboys show up is a good time for me. You can dedicate the song to the losers in power.

Anonymous said...

That's funny because I just did the same thing and was really, really, really glad that I don't have to retire right now on that money. We took a big hit - ugh. Then I saw on the news Friday morning that it plunged even further within five minutes of the stock market opening.

All I can say is "this sucks".

Distributorcap said...

i have all the statements piling up --- no opening them right now

i love martha reeves

Joe said...

Ouch. I had the same thing happen with my 457 account--nearly 1/3 loss in about 3 weeks.

Here's to better times, huh?