Friday, October 31, 2008

The "Yes We Can" Friday Random Ten

I was working Wednesday night and didn't get a chance to see the Obama infomercial. I just read in the New York Times that the Barack Obama "infomercial" was a huge hit, ratings and otherwise. I questioned whether it was a wise move-- I thought it might be overkill. But the reviews I've heard and read have been raves. I'm going to try to find it on Youtube later.

I've had lots of entries to the "Beat Johnny Yen" contest. I'll try to update those today.

1. Rockford Files Theme- Mike Post
2. Wasted Time- The Eagles
3. I'll Make You A Star- The Ponys
4. Polyester Bride- Liz Phair
5. Mandela Day- Simple Minds
6. I Wanna Marry You- Bruce Springsteen
7. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed- The Allman Brothers Band
8. Beginning of a Great Adventure- Lou Reed
9. Digging Your Scene- The Blow Monkeys
10. I Will Survive- Gloria Gaynor


1. Just saw yesterday that season 6 of the Rockford Files is coming out on DVD. Love this show and like James Garner-- he's a Korean War vet and a big Hollywood liberal.
2. Hotel California was one of the first albums I ever bought. Love this song.
3. Chicago's very own.
4. I've mentioned before, that I discovered that Liz' bartender friend Henry was also my bartender friend Henry. He's a real estate guy these days.
5. Simple Minds' tribute to Mandela.
6. I love the line "To say I'll make your dreams come true would be wrong/But maybe, darlin', I could help them along"
7. A long instrumental. They got the idea from seeing the gravestone of Elizabeth Reed in Georgia.
8. From New Sensations, one of my favorite albums. Lou Reed's reflections on child-rearing.
9. Great one-hit wonder from the eighties.
10. I've got a great story about this song regarding an old boss that I'll blog about sometime.

1 comment:

SkylersDad said...

Here is a link JY, and Happy Halloween!

http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/133307/detail/